Friday, July 14, 2017

The PG-13 Crowd

Our minds, unedited by guilt or shame, 
are selfish and unkind, and the majority of our thoughts, 
at any given time, are not for public consumption, 
because they would either be hurtful 
or else just make us look like 
the selfish and unkind bastards we are. 
We don’t share our thoughts, 
we share carefully sanitized, watered-down versions of them, 
Hollywood adaptations of those thoughts 
dumbed down for the PG-13 crowd
- Jonathan Tropper

More than nine years into doing this on an almost-daily basis, this was quite a little nugget for me to have unearthed.  I tend to not read a great deal of fiction but among the better fiction books I have read in the past eight to ten years is Jonathan Tropper's This is Where I Leave You.  If you have not read it and might be interested in it, I beg you to not be put off by the rather underwhelming movie adaptation that was made several years ago.  To me, the film was never any better than mediocre whereas the book never descended into mediocrity.  

Anyway, whether you agree with Tropper's observation (and as someone who has been admonished for a half-century for lacking an adequate "filter" - and if you like me now folks, boy you should have known me when I was a drunk and a total muthaphuckin' delight - I tend not to), it is certainly interesting.  I suspect that it is likely more accurate than most, including the Joe Camel unfiltered among us, are comfortable admitting aloud. 

I was happy to see that the All-Star Game proceeded without my participation on Tuesday night. Again, I do not begrudge anyone's enjoyment of it.  It simply is not something that I enjoy.  I did smile however reading on Wednesday morning that the American League's winning margin was provided courtesy of Robinson Cano of the Seattle Mariners who, once upon a lifetime ago, represented the Yankees annually in the All-Star Game.  As a Yankees fan who has been a Cano fan since his first game in the bigs, I still miss him.  

I was surprised to read that Cano, who I think of as being a perpetually young man, is now thirty-four years of age. I know that I have gotten older.  I had half-hoped that he had not.  Then again, "consider the alternative", which phrase Mom regularly worked into just about every telephone conversation I had with her over the course of the final twenty or so years of her life in response to me asking her how she felt.  

I reckon Robbie Cano ("Don't Ya Know!") is still young enough to have not begun pondering the alternative.  And besides, an All-Star Game that was played in Florida and was decided by one of baseball's "elder statesmen"?  Nothing could make better sense.  

-AK   


No comments: