Friday, May 5, 2017

Screening the Movie of One's Life

I have long been intrigued by the level of disconnect between my life as it unfolds in the course of my day-to-day and the movie of my life as it runs on a continuous loop in the theater of my mind's eye.  I have often wondered if that sense of disconnect that I experience is unique to me or something that is experienced by at least one other inhabitant of our big blue marble. 

Frankly, given my overwhelming "average-ness" (I am in fact the dictionary definition of "average") I have never doubted that at least one other person on this planet shares that very same feeling.  My brain, after all, has never been mistaken as a think tank of original ideas.  As it turns out, not only does at least one other person share that same sense, she articulates it significantly better than I have ever done.  

When time permits - and if it does not appear to do so then re-prioritize your calendar so that it does - acquaint yourself with this Op-Ed piece Jane Coastan wrote, which piece first appeared in The New York Times on May 2, 2017.   I know not whether it shall move you.  I suspect however it shall make you think.  

Contrary to what you might have heard or been led to believe in the United States of Kardashians recently, thinking is a good thing.  A very good thing, in fact.  

-AK 

No comments: