Saturday, February 11, 2017

Perusing Life's Spice Rack

When I run, my mind and body fuse together, 
creating an energy source that empowers me.
- Gail W. Kislevitz

Two interesting pieces of writing to enjoy - or to ignore - with your Saturday morning coffee.  For the record, this is neither of them. 

In the past several years I have completed one-half dozen marathons, including the New Jersey Marathon AND the New York City Marathon in 2015 and 2016, which means that from January, 2015, through November, 2016, roughly 75% of the miles I ran were part of a training plan for one of those four races.  I hope this year to celebrate my 50th birthday and to put a bow on my marathon adventures by running two more:  the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington, D.C., which is a late October date, and two weeks thereafter, the New York City Marathon.  We shall see.  

This week, on-line, I came across a piece entitled "Why You Probably Shouldn't Run a Marathon", written by Megan Harrington.  Truth be told, there is a hell of a lot of good, common sense advice in her piece.  It tackling 26.2 miles is something that is kind of, sort of on your bucket list, then maybe you want to read Ms. Harrington's piece.  I read it too damn late to save me but, perhaps, it shall save you.    

And proof of - if nothing else - the two-sided nature of the proverbial coin, is this wonderful tribute to Don McNelly.  Mr. McNelly died on Super Bowl Sunday.  He was ninety-six.  He took up running marathons in his late 40's, after a good friend died of a heart attack.  From the time he started his journey at the 1969 Boston Marathon until the time he stopped participating in them, which he did in November, 2010, he finished seven hundred and forty-four of them.  You read that correctly:  744.  He completed at least one marathon in each of the fifty states, every Canadian province, and on all seven continents.  One other thing, more than one hundred of his "marathons" were actually "ultra-marathons".  

Is the moral to these stories, whether you do or you do not, it all works out?  I have no idea.  Enjoy your coffee. 

I am off on my morning run. 

-AK 

No comments: