Wednesday, February 22, 2017

A Month-Long Vacation in the Stratosphere

Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm...
- Ralph Waldo Emerson 

This weekend felt nothing like "mid-February" at the Shore.  The annual Manasquan First Aid Squad Mid-Winter Beach Run was well-attended - as it always seems to be.  This year, unlike some years, the dress code was short-sleeved t-shirts and shorts.  Gun time was 11:00 am, at which time it was approximately sixty degrees.  Happiness is a February race that is run, in New Jersey, under sun-soaked, sixty-degree skies.  

Sunday morning I finally completed my first good training run of my training program for the 2017 United Airlines NYC Half-Marathon, which is Sunday, March 19, 2017.  While I would be happier to report that news were I not five weeks deep into the training program, I cannot undo what has been done.  Hopefully the genuinely good effort that I gave over 7.5 quick (for me, anyway) miles on Sunday will carry over and will stay with me going forward through the slightly more than three weeks that separate me from race day.  

There are a hell of a lot worse ways to spend a February Sunday morning than how I spent mine...

17th Avenue Beach - Belmar



Looking north from Shark River Inlet


Belmar Fishing Club from Shark River Inlet


North towards Asbury Park from Avon Pavilion

I had one hell of an enjoyable day.  Not as enjoyable as the one that young Nathan Testa spent recently... 




...but then again, I can neither sing nor play the guitar. 

-AK 






No comments: