Friday, January 6, 2017

Just Fucking Enough Already

I am a cynic.  It is a fundamental element of my nature that human beings rarely if ever surprise me. Disappoint me? Yes.  Disgust me? Yes.  Infuriate me?  Far too often than I care to admit.  But surprise me?  Nope.  I prepare for the worst and await its arrival.  Much like a NJ Transit train, it is often late but rarely, if ever, fails to appear altogether. 

One could not have successfully navigated the gauntlet that was 2016 without recognizing that our collective humanity did not emerge from this past year intact.  We, the people, tossed countless piles of dirt out of the rabbit hole to better help us expedite our descent and increase our depth.  Not being an idiot - or an optimist for that matter - I did not expect mankind to step down on the "RESET" button and begin engaging one another in 2017 as if none of what had come before it (including some as recently as six days ago) had not happened. 

I suppose that I half-hoped that it would take longer than this new year's first week for us to dynamite our way miles further down into the rabbit hole.  It did not

I cannot pretend to give a goddamn whether you are black or white, a Democrat or a Republican, or a Red Stater or a Blue Stater.  I cannot fake giving a shit whether you worship a particular deified figment of your imagination or whether you worship none at all.  Neither ethnicity, race, sexual orientation, political affiliation, creed, economic status, gender, nor favorite flavor of Lays potato chips serves as carte blanche for one human to treat another human being as if the latter was something sub-human.   

If you look at this video and see only color, then you need to muscle up on the skill of visual comprehension.  This is neither a black thing nor a white thing.  This is most assuredly an American thing.  I recognize that such atrocities occur as well beyond the geographical boundaries of these United States, which makes me feel not at all better about the frequency with which they occur here, and which I presume does not make you feel better either.  

It is an embarrassment - shared by all of us to some degree - that while there are countless things we no longer manufacture in the United States, our ability to manufacture ignorance and hate is seemingly unparalleled.  



-AK

No comments: