Sunday, January 1, 2017

'Cause All I Ever Had

Happy New Year to you, to those you love, and to those who love you.  Here is to hoping that this year is one of peace and prosperity for you, for me, and for all of us. 

If all goes according to Hoyle, then shortly before Memorial Day, Suzanne and Ryan shall become parents and, of course, I shall become a grandfather.  I am at a loss as to when - at any time in my life - I have looked forward to something with as much enthusiasm as I have this opportunity.  Early next month, I shall be fifty.  In a half-century on this planet, I have spent a disportionate amount of time as a space-filler.  Nothing more.  

Yet, almost without justification, this year the world offers me a shot at redemption.  My resolution (admittedly one in which the bar has been set at mid-calf level) is to be the "Pop Pop" I have never been as a son, a sibling, a spouse, or a parent.  Not the loftiest goal, I know, but one must start somewhere, right?  Baby steps.  

Seems appopriate, all things considered...

...Happy New Year.




-AK 


  




No comments: