Sunday, January 22, 2017

Another Confession To Make...

...and I make it cognizant of the fact that irrespective of a now-slightly-less-than half-century of staunch heterosexuality, it likely shall cost me my "Man Card" at least in certain circles.  Here it goes:

I shall likely spend more time reading The New York Times this afternoon than I shall watching either of the NFL's Conference Championship Games.  I not only have zero rooting interest in either game but the older I get the less interest I have in professional football altogether.  I am ostensibly a Giants fan and yet I watched less than one half's worth of their total game action this year.  On the other hand, when my beloved Buffaloes got their rear ends kicked on two separate occasions in December - early in the Pac-12 Championship Game and late in the Alamo Bowl - I watched every second of both routs.  

If today is a day for you on which professional football shall be front and center, then enjoy the hell out of it and if a team for which you root is among the four teams in action today, then may your team win.  My apathy is not intended to detract from anyone's enjoyment of the day.

Besides, I already have my box in the $10,000 Super Bowl Pool in which I participate every year so as long as the world lasts long enough for that game to be played two Sundays from now, and two teams show up for that game, I cannot fake giving an Irish rat's ass who it is.  

After all, to borrow a line from the great Randy Newman, it is not the participants that are important, but rather something else altogether...




-AK

No comments: