Sunday, January 29, 2017

A Day Fit for Man and Beast

Ah, January at the Shore.  I must confess that as much as I love summer days and nights here, the misanthrope in me revels in the quiet that is winter at the Jersey Shore.  Tranquil does not even begin to cover it.  This morning, when I embark on the six-mile-training run that is on today's docket in preparation for the 2017 United Airlines Half Marathon, which is now less than two months away...for which the course - in real-life - is unfortunately markedly bigger than it appears on this course map -  I will likely see ten times as many people on the Boardwalk (running or biking) than I shall encounter anywhere else in town.  

And, of course, in addition to bringing my running gear, on this weekend at the beach I am joined by my faithful canine companion, Rosalita.  Her presence this weekend is of heightened importance since this afternoon, schedule permitting, she shall be my date for a terrific event that a local business, where Matt Knehr (who Margaret and I have known for most of his life) works, shall host.   




Whether Rosie and I are able to come out tonight (OK, this afternoon), if you are and/or can be in Belmar today, then spend a minute or two (at least) at Beach Haus Brewery.  You will have an opportunity to help a good cause and, also, to lend support for a locally-born, locally-operated business that embraces and assists the community of which it is a part.   Good folks who produce an excellent product, all the while doing all they can for the town they call home.  

Who knows, you might even find a "forever friend" to adopt and take home with you.  Margaret will not be there today with Rosie and me (baby shower) and I know she has a bit of trepidation that the two of us might be joined by a third traveling companion on our trip north this afternoon. 

Hmmm...sing us out, Mr. Hiatt, if you would...




-AK


No comments: