Thursday, November 3, 2016

Seven Is Job One

Tonight in Boulder, the Alma mater's football team plays host to the UCLA Bruins.  In a nice change of pace, tonight's game is one that I shall be able to watch since the network broadcasting it, Fox Sports 1, is not at war with Direct TV, which is my television provider.  The overwhelming majority of Colorado's games are televised on the Pac-12 Network, which Direct TV steadfastly refuses to carry.  As a result, I catch most of the Buffs' games on the terrific - and free - Gameday App, which carries the radio broadcast with Mark Johnson, Gary Barnett, and Bobby Pesavento.

For the first time in a long time around the CU football program, the feelings about the Buffs match the rarefied air around Folsom Field.  Being Irish, I have spent my whole life looking skyward awaiting the other shoe's descent.  Thus, I have been less inclined to get caught up in the feeling of euphoria that has overtaken many other inhabitants of Buff Nation.  I care not about #20 (their rank in this week's AP Poll), or #15 (their rank in this week's College Football Playoff Standings).  I care only about one number, which is 7.  

A win tonight will be the seventh win of the season.  I went to law school in large part to stay away from hard math but even I have enough of a grasp of basic arithmetic to know that there can be no eight, nine, or ten win-season without first getting win number seven.  I also know that getting win number seven tonight guarantees that for the first time since the 2005 season, the Buffs will finish the season with a winning record. 

This group of Buffs has higher aspirations than simply having a winning record.  Tonight is an important first step in that direction.  


-AK 
   

No comments: