Thursday, November 24, 2016

For Del Griffith, Wherever He May Be

This morning, I shall begin my Thanksgiving as I have begun it for five of the past six years.  I shall make the short drive over to Green Brook to run in the Sixth Annual Patanella's Green Brook Turkey Trot 5K.  It is a terrific, local event.  I spend less than ten minutes each way in the car and twenty-five minutes or so out of the car - and on foot - helping raise money for an eminently worthy cause, Green Brook PBA Local #238.




On my way home from the office last evening, I picked up this year's race garb and bib.  When I did so, I dropped off the bag of canned goods and non-perishable food items (a/k/a "macaroni") that Margaret and I contributed to the event's other terrific cause, which is helping ensure that the local Food Bank remains well-stocked so that when a family in need needs to make a withdrawal from it, the help they need is in fact the help that they receive. 

May your Thanksgiving be spent in the company of at least some of those whom you love most of all and in the company of at least some of those who love you most of all.  Remember - even if just for a moment - that today, and every day, that for every Neal Page, there is a Del Griffith.  

Today, and every day, if you are fortunate enough to be a Neal Page, then try to keep a place in your heart for a Del.  At day's end, each is simply trying to find the way home.  

There is no greater quest that one can undertake.

Happy Thanksgiving...

"Planes, Trains & Automobiles" 
(Final Scene)

-AK 
    

No comments: