Sunday, October 30, 2016

Semper Fi Sunday

Every time I hear someone of my vintage or older say something less than flattering about young people. It is after all two seventy-somethings who have been the principals in the least inspiring Presidential election in this nation's history. 

I am spoiled I guess.  The young people who I know are extraordinary, whether my own two and their respective spouses, my nieces and nephews, or the children of good friends.  Not a slacker in the bunch.  

This morning, one of the finest young persons I know shall spend a few hours doing something terrific. Brendan O'Brien, who graduated from W-H less than six months ago as a member of the Class of 2016 is taking part today in the Marine Corps Marathon.  Having had the pleasure in 2010 of taking part in the 10K race that is part of MCM weekend, I know firsthand what an experience he shall enjoy.  I am very happy for him that he shall be part of this year's MCM Marathon. 

He is not simply running of course.  He is running on behalf of the Travis Manion Foundation, which provides assistance to seriously injured veterans and their families as well as to the families of Americans soldiers killed in combat.  Simply put, he is doing a great thing for a great reason in an event that is nothing short of extraordinary.  If you are inclined to lend some help to Brendan - to help him help the Manion Foundation help this nation's veterans and the families that love them, you can.  Here's what you do:  go to https://donate.travismanion.org/fundraise?fcid628307.  

Congratulations, Brendan, and thank you.  

Young people.  Where exactly would we be without them...

AK

No comments: