Wednesday, October 26, 2016

A Family Affair


One week from Sunday, when I run for the second time in the New York City Marathon, I will do so accompanying my sister, Kara, and her husband/my brother-in-law, Russ.  Russ has competed in the NYC Marathon on several occasions.  He is a significantly better runner than either Kara or I and because of that, he will begin his journey through the City's five boroughs in Wave 1 at 9:50 AM. 

Kara and I (and my running companera, Gidg) will not begin our trek over the Verrazano Bridge until 11:00 AM, which is when Wave 4 hits the streets.  She is not able to participate this year but my sister, Jill, is also a NYC Marathon veteran.  The Kenny family has turned the Marathon into quite the family get-together. 

Or so I thought. 

It turns out that what we shall do this year does not mean diddley (Bo, or otherwise) to the Siemann siblings.  The twenty-seven-year-old quadruplets, Brian and this three sisters (Amanda, Maria, and Jessica), are all competing in this year's Marathon.  Brian, who suffered a spinal cord injury days after his birth in 1989, which left him paralyzed from the waist down, is competing in his fifth NYC Marathon.  For each of his three sisters, November 6, 2016 shall represent a maiden voyage.  There is a simply terrific piece on these four marathoners - and the parents who lived through sleep deprivation raising them (as well as their big brother, John) - right here.   Give it a read.  

And whether you are in Central Park or somewhere along the course on Marathon Sunday, if you see Brian, Amanda, Maria, or Jessica Siemann pass by you, give them a cheer.  The New York Road Runners Club believes that the Siemanns are the first set of quadruplets to compete together in the marathon's four-decade-plus history.     

Cue the music, Mr. French...


-AK 


2 comments:

Karl Miran said...

Good stuff. These families are creating The Ties that Bind

Adam Kenny said...

I see what you did there. Nicely done!