Friday, August 5, 2016

August Splendor

When I got into my car yesterday morning at shortly after 4:00 am to begin my daily trek to the wilds of Parsippany, a number on my instrument panel caught my eye.  According to my Volvo - and we can trust the Swedes to tell the truth as they are, after all, the people who gave us Bjorn Borg and Ingemar Stenmark - the temperature right then and there 'NTSG was 69 degrees.  Sixty-nine.  A week ago - at or about the very same time - the temperature was close to twenty degrees warmer.

Welcome to August in New Jersey.

'Round these parts, August can still kick us squarely in the ass with its dual gifts of heat and humidity.  But, August, unlike its significantly more hostile sibling, July, every now and again tips its hand and gives us a meteorological preview of the rapidly-approaching Autumn.

It is as sure a sign of the season to come as a Dead Head sticker on a Cadillac...


-AK 

No comments: