Thursday, July 14, 2016

The Gospel According to Valvano

Yesterday, as I was driving home from a day spent working down in Toms River, I flipped on 98.7 on my car's radio.  It is ESPN's New York station.  I had not known that yesterday was ESPN's annual ESPY Awards show, which the radio station apparently promoted all day.

I had not known yesterday was the ESPYs in large part due to the fact that I cannot recall the last time I had watched the show.  And, in the interest of full disclosure, I did not watch it last night either.

But yesterday afternoon I happened upon the audio of Jim Valvano's speech at the 1993 ESPY show, which he made while shoulder-deep in the battle against the terminal cancer that would kill him less than one year later.  Twenty-plus years after I had first heard them, Valvano's words once again brought tears to my eyes.

Two days ago, I learned that a man who has been a friend to me and a mentor to me for too many years for me to count has just received a devastating diagnosis.  Evidence - as if any more is necessary - of the inherent unfairness of life.  When I listened to Valvano's words, I thought of my friend.



As I shall do often.

-AK

No comments: