Friday, July 29, 2016

Life in the Heights

How we explain that when someone is cruel
Or acts like a bully, you don't stoop to their level.
No, our motto is, when they go low,
We go high. 
- Michelle Obama

The dueling carnival sideshows that were the National Conventions have folded up their respective tents.  I, for one, shall not miss them.  

I am a registered Republican.  I am not now - and have never been - a "party-line" fellow.  I am a pragmatist.  I vote for the candidate in whom I have the most confidence.  In 2008, I decided that candidate was John McCain.  In 2012, I decided it was Barack Obama.  Less than one hundred and twenty days remain until Election Day. At this point in the program, my candidate-related confidence is extremely low...almost to the point of non-existence. 

Monday night, Michelle Obama reminded me why - even when the system seems broken - it serves no purpose to walk around with one's head bowed, eyes cast downward in an effort to not trip over the lowest common denominator.  Go high or go home.  

Take note that the latter is not in fact an option.  

-AK 

No comments: