Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Just a Couple of Searchers...

Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. 
Live the life that you've imagined. 
- Henry David Thoreau

I have lucked into considerably more than I ever have had any right to receive.  I have spent a half-century honing my skills as an unrepentant asshole.  Consequently, and by way of a mutual-aid agreement, I have always been a man of few friends and/or close acquaintances.  I am happiest when the world is at least an arm's length away.  I might add - without even a whiff of surprise - that as I am fast approaching my fiftieth birthday I have yet to hear the world express a desire to get even a little bit closer.  Nor do I expect to ever hear such a request. It is what one might call a mutually-beneficial arrangement. 

In spite of myself, I have been married to one of world's great souls for close to a quarter-century. Her great accomplishment is saving me from myself.  Parenthetically, her motivation for doing so remains one of the world's unanswered questions.  

In spite of me - and believe me when I say that even if I was to ever learn immodesty what I am about to say is not being said in an effort to flex that particular muscle - Margaret raised two fine adult offspring.  Suzanne and Rob are not only a credit to themselves but to the world that each inhabits.  Each chose wisely and well when they married and paid appropriate attention to Springsteen's charge about the importance of selecting a good traveling companion.  Each has grown up to be a remarkably fine adult, an achievement for which they deserve - and the mother who raised them deserves - an incalculable amount of credit. 

Each of them - acting in concert with Ryan and Jess respectively - routinely displays extraordinary courage in the pursuit of their dreams.  Fearlessness without reckless is often times akin to a tightrope walk.  Each does it well and makes it look relatively easy in the process - a testament no doubt to just how hard they work at it...

...and the importance of never giving up on the search for the things that will come to them. 



-AK 


   

No comments: