Thursday, July 7, 2016

In Honor of Charles Bruder

Spring Lake has one hell of a way of celebrating a centennial.  July 6, 2016 marked the 100th anniversary of the death of Charles Bruder.   

On July 6, 1916 Charles Bruder, a twenty-seven year-old bell captain at the Essex and Sussex Hotel, which is located on Ocean Avenue in Spring Lake, went for a swim on his lunch break.  Bruder went into the Atlantic Ocean where he was attacked by a shark.  The shark bit him four times.  Bruder died of his injuries.

The attack on Bruder was one of the attacks that occurred within a twelve day period in New Jersey, which attacks served at least in part as the inspiration for Peter Benchley's Jaws.  A book I love that served as the inspiration for one of my all-time favorite movies.  

Last night, Margaret, our friend Tom Swales, and I sat on the beach in Spring Lake and watched Jaws  on a big screen.  I have seen the film too many times to count but had not seen it on a big screen since the first time I saw it, which was almost forty years ago.  

Man, do I love vacation.  One hell of a way to spend a Wednesday night.  

We did not even need a bigger boat...

-AK

No comments: