Saturday, June 18, 2016

The Golden Sound of Silence

Miranda turned fifty on Monday.  No, not this Miranda but, rather, this one.  Shame on me.  I am embarrassed to admit - as a lawyer -that I did not know it shared its birthday with Mom.  Parenthetically, I hope my long-time friend, Randi Wichansky Leeson (who also shares a birthday with Mom), is suitably impressed by the fact that I have never forgotten that fact - and we have known each other for more than thirty years. 

Anyway, apropos of nothing, the other morning as I was spending a few minutes reading my "Morning Briefing" on my New York Times app on my phone, I came across a piece under the banner of "The Marshall Project" regarding Miranda and its effect on our nation's criminal justice system during the past half-century.  The authors of the piece, Samuel Gross and Maurice Possley, have written something that I found to be interesting and enlightening.  Perhaps you shall find it to be so as well.  In the off-chance that you might, the link to it is here.      

After you read it (or if you decide you cannot spare the few minutes needed to complete it), then take this Miranda quiz that Emily Hopkins of The Marshall Project created.  I am relieved to say that I answered all five questions correctly...

...which is damn sight better score than this poor bastard probably attained. 


-AK 
   

No comments: