Friday, June 3, 2016

Objects in the Rear-View Mirror

Nothing, work-wise, makes me happier than not being in the office.  I loathe days on which I have no appearances.  While I get a considerable amount of work completed on "office days" - it is the nature of this particular beast after all - I find that such days absolutely grind on me.  

One of the ancillary benefits of the Missus and I having purchased our little Paradise by the Sea is that it has given me increased flexibility vis-a-vis "Happiness is What I See in My Rear-View Mirror".  Tuesday night, having confirmed earlier that day that I was going to be spending Wednesday down in Toms River at depositions, I traveled home to Lake Como as opposed to home to Middlesex.  I brought a lot of work with me, which I commenced doing when my alarm went off at or about dawn's ass crack on Wednesday morning.  

Wednesday was "National Running Day" and I took a brief respite from my toils in time to make it to the boardwalk at our beach, the 17th Avenue Beach in Belmar, in time to see the sun rise.  I could not help but think how nice it would have been to have seen the sun I was fortunate enough to see on June 1st, on May 1st, when Gidg, Brooke, and I ran the Long Branch Half-Marathon and the New Jersey Marathon, respectively, in a very cold, unrelenting downpour.  As usual, I ran without my WABAC Machine.  Luckily, I had my phone with me and I was able to capture the view.

June 1, 2016 - Sunrise over 17th Ave Beach
Belmar

I had originally intended to run about five miles but for reasons wholly unimportant to this tale, I ended up running slightly more than 3.5 miles.  I ran north up Ocean Avenue from its intersection with 17th Avenue - over the drawbridge at the Shark River Inlet - and into Avon-by-the-Sea.  While I was in Avon, I popped a quick picture of what the dawning of the day looked like from the vantage point of the Washington Avenue Beach.


June 1, 2016 - Washington Avenue Beach
Avon-by-the-Sea

One of my favorite parts of running early in the morning from Belmar into Avon is running on the drawbridge over the Shark River Inlet, which is bordered by Belmar to the south and Avon to the north.  As I headed south on Wednesday morning - towards home - I tossed a glance backwards to check out the view of the sun rising over the Inlet.  I did not realize - until I looked at the picture I had taken - that the dunes, etc. around the Inlet are yet one more place that my faithful canine companion, Rosalita, is not welcome.


June 1, 2016 - "No Dogs" 
Shark River Inlet

By the time my depositions wrapped up in Toms River shortly before 2:00 PM, I was not interested in making the ninety-minute-plus drive back to Parsippany.  I did not.  Instead, I drove the thirty minutes back to Lake Como, where I worked for a couple of hours before declaring the day "over" and heading up to Middlesex.  An eminently productive work day on which I never got any closer to my office than the thirty-plus miles I was from it when I pulled into my driveway in Middlesex at day's end.  A realization that brought a smile to my face...

...and to the faces of my many co-workers too, I am sure.  


 

-AK 




No comments: