Thursday, June 23, 2016

Have Eyes, See Beauty

Those who live by the sea
Can hardly form a single thought
Of which the sea would not be part.
- Hermann Broch

Among the reasons why I am very excited that the Missus is so very excited about her new bicycle is that it shall now serve as her conveyance into a part of our Shore experience of which thus far she has failed to avail herself.  It will permit her to see - with her own eyes - sights that I never tire of seeing with mine.  

As a general rule, my early-morning runs begin in the same manner - irrespective of whether I ultimately head north towards Asbury Park (and occasionally beyond) or south towards Sea Girt (and occasionally beyond) - I leave my house and head east down 17th Avenue to the 17th Avenue Beach. Far more often than not, I am there either in time to see the sun rise or within minutes of it having done so.  It is a sight that never fails to move me...

17th Avenue Beach - Belmar 
Saturday, June 18, 2016

...even if the sight I am seeing varies from one day to the next.

17th Avenue Beach - Belmar
Sunday, June 19, 2016

On Saturday morning, I ran south on the Boardwalk until it ended, which it does in Spring Lake at the corner of Ocean Avenue and Brown Avenue, which is slightly more than two and one-half miles from our house.  On my way south I saw one of my favorite signs of summer in Spring Lake, which is the lifeguard boat on the sand immediately adjacent to the lifeguard stand, which awaits its positioning for the day ahead.

Spring Lake Lifeguard Boat and Stand
Saturday, June 18, 2016


On my trek south, I happened to look back over my shoulder and when I did I was able to capture a picture of the sun's ascent.

Sun coming up over Spring Lake
Saturday, June 18, 2016

When I first started running along the water at the start of last summer, I never used to venture inland. I would simply run "out and back" using the Boardwalk to chart my course.  It took not very long at all for me to realize how obtuse I was being in following that "plan" (permitting that word the broadest possible interpretation).  Therefore, when I reached the southern end of the boardwalk in Spring Lake on Saturday, I did not turn around.  Instead I turned west and headed into the heart of Spring Lake.  I am not a religious man.  The Lord and I have an understanding - he stays out of my home and I return the favor.  However, my lack of spirituality is not so profound that it prevents me from appreciating a good-looking church when I see one, which I do every time I run past this one, St. Catharine's (I think) in Spring Lake:

St. Catharine's Church (?) - Spring Lake
Saturday, June 18, 2016

The best part of my south-bound runs is that the final part of my inward leg takes me past and around Lake Como.  As far as I can tell, with the exception of Wreck Pond, every contained body of water in Monmouth County larger than a puddle is designated as a "lake", which is a great ego boost for slow-moving runners such as me, who can declare honestly that I can run around Lake Como in less than ten minutes...and have done so on numerous occasions.  The small size of our town's namesake does nothing, however, to diminish its appeal.  

"Welcome to Lake Como" - Lake Como 
Saturday, June 18, 2016

Sunday proved to be the warmer of the two days last weekend, which you might have been able to surmise based upon the color of the sky at sunrise as opposed to how it appeared twenty-four hours earlier.  As I headed north on the Boardwalk, I was taken by the vibrancy of the sunrise and its effect on the sky

Sun coming up over the beach - Belmar
Sunday, June 19, 2016

The Belmar Fishing Club is located on the northern end of Belmar, immediately south of the Shark River Inlet that is the partition between Belmar and Avon-by-the-Sea.  On Sunday morning, as I ambled up Ocean Avenue (running against traffic as a runner should) to the bridge that would carry me over the inlet, I glanced to my right and captured this view of the Belmar Fishing Club with the sun peeking over its shoulder.  

Belmar Fishing Club - Belmar
Sunday, June 19, 2016

On Sunday, my run took me only as far north as the southern end of Bradley Beach, which is a distance of slightly more than two miles from our house.  When I headed south, instead of running west through Bradley Beach or Avon to Route 71 before turning for home, I simply turned around and headed south along the water.  As I crossed over the bridge into Belmar and, shortly thereafter, passed by Silver Lake, I was at peace with my decision.

Silver Lake - Belmar 
Sunday, June 19, 2016

Up until this point in time, I have essentially served as Margaret's eyes at the beach, sharing with her when I return home, pictures I have taken of the things I have seen while I have been out and about.  Beginning this week, she will see these things not as I see them, but as she sees does.  

And that shall most assuredly be something to behold. 

-AK 









No comments: