Sunday, June 26, 2016

Deeds and Words

You take things for granted - or at least I do - during my lazy summer days at the Shore.  Typically, the most thought-intensive part of my day is deciding how far I am going to go on my morning run.  I am a man in slow motion at the beach.  Action?  Not really. 

Yesterday afternoon as Margaret and I were sitting on the beach soaking up the sun, the two young men manning the lifeguard stand on our beach proved themselves to be men of action.  Two swimmers started flailing in the water - in trouble and in need of assistance.  Without a moment's hesitation these two youngsters (if I had to hazard a guess I would estimate each is twenty or so) dived into the water and rescued the two distressed swimmers. 

Not everyone is wired to place himself or herself in harm's way to save another - especially when that someone is a stranger.  These two kids - neither of whom likely makes enough to retire a rich man from his gig as a Belmar lifeguard - did so instinctively.  

-AK

No comments: