Wednesday, June 8, 2016

America: Its Rock & Its Hard Place

When nothing is owed or deserved or expected
And your life doesn't change by the man who's elected
If you're loved by someone, you're never rejected
Decide what to be and go be it.
- The Avett Brothers 


We the people of these United States awaken this morning to the reality that on the first Tuesday following the first Monday this November, we shall have to decide between Hillary Rodham Clinton and Donald J. Trump to serve as this nation's next President.  You need not ask how we arrived at this particular point in our history any more than I do.  Candidly, at this juncture, it matters less to me how we got here than what we the people shall do now that we have arrived at this particular mile marker on the highway.  

I hope like Hell that Walt Kelly was wrong.  I hope that we have not arrived at the final act in our American Experience, where life does such a spot-on imitation of art that it ceases to exist in and of itself.  




I hope that he was wrong.  I just wish I had more conviction in my position than I do.  Then again, I have been wrong before - including today already as a matter of fact.  Here is to hoping that I am again. 

And to hoping that the Avett Brothers are right...  




...irrespective of the gender of the election's winner. 

-AK 


No comments: