Thursday, June 30, 2016

A Toast to a Life-Long Alliance

When eyes meet in silence, a pact can be made
A life-long alliance that won't be betrayed
Won't be betrayed...
- Pete Townshend

One of the world's genuinely good humans is observing a birthday today.  I initially wrote 'celebrating' but Mark is Scottish and the Scots - with their general makeup and world view - make the Irish look like card-carrying members of the Sunshine Carpet Cleaning Company.  Thus, celebrating felt as if it might be a bit of a stretch.  Observing is a far safer wager. 

Either way, I hope that my old (albeit not older than me) friend Mark takes a moment or two today to enjoy the annual marking of the date of his earthly arrival.  Whether he will do something "crazy" such as work only a fourteen-hour day so that he might spend a bit of quality time with his two kids I would not pretend to know.  There are scant few people I have ever met whose work ethic makes my own seem embarrassingly soft.  Mark is one of them. 

He is, also, an exceptionally loyal and good friend.  Rare these days is the person whose word is his bond.  Mark is such a person.  As long as I have known him, my nickname for him has been "Bowinkle" when in fact the animated character he most strongly resembles is Horton, Dr. Seuss's elephant.  Each of them say what they mean and mean what they say.  

Happy Birthday, old friend.  And thanks for what is now fast approaching four decades of friendship. 



-AK 

No comments: