Wednesday, April 27, 2016

At the Point of Intersection Between Durocher and Dufresne

A long-time friend of mine attained a result last week that might have even given the great Leo the Lip cause to reconsider his assertion that nice guys finish last.  Having spent close to five years embroiled in a brutal, contentious feud with his one-time business partner, a gentleman who threatened his life, his livelihood, and his good name, Marc emerged victorious. 

On April 20, 2016, a jury in the United States District Court for the District of Arizona awarded Marc (a/k/a "the Plaintiff") one hell of a win.  In the legal biz, any time the jury's verdict includes an award of damages and the amount awarded has eight figures and two commas to the left of the decimal point, such a result is recognized as a victory for the plaintiff.  Even by those of us blackhearted bastards on the defense bar.  And when such a verdict is entered in favor of someone who I have been fortunate enough to know - and to call my friend - for close to thirty-five years, well it is more than enough to bring a smile to the face of this blackhearted bastard.    

Marc sent me an e-mail on Monday afternoon sharing the news of the jury's verdict with me.  He is as avid a Springsteen fan as I am.  I have seen him just three times in the past thirty years and each time has been at a Springsteen concert here in New Jersey - although photographs he had one of the nice young ladies in Giants Stadium take of us prior to the August 28, 2003 show have been lost to the sands of time - including both nights on Springsteen's birthday party weekend at Met Life Stadium in September, 2012.  

Pre-show at Met Life Stadium
(09/22/12 - MW and AK)


Pre-show at Met Life Stadium
(09/23/12 - MW, MK, & AK)


A smile appeared on my face almost reflexively when I saw that his e-mail included an eminently appropriate Springsteen lyrical reference from "Land of Hope and Dreams" ("Faith will be rewarded").  I must confess however that when I read his spectacularly good news, the first pop culture reference of which I thought was not a Springsteen lyric.  

In fact, it was not a lyric at all.

But rather a scene from one of my all-time favorite films extolling the virtues of a man who, much like Marc, crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side...




Andy Dufresne, a nice guy who ultimately finished first.  An exception to Durocher's rule.  

And now there are two.  Each one not merely an exception but exceptional as well.   

-AK

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marc fought fire with napalm! As a result, he scorched the people who tried to burn him. Anyone who knows Marc, knows he's an honorable man. Who never needed to rely on lies, deceit, or cheating to get ahead and make a nice life for him and his family. He never needed to be dishonest in order to succeed. His whole life he possessed the tools and heart to be successful in whatever he did. I've known him for 45 years, I consider him family. Speaking of which, my father, the most successful and generous person I've ever known, had an amazing ability to see a persons true character in an instant. He always knew Marc was the real deal. The genuine article and a "real guy". Now the chips have fallen, and the intent to harm, has only enriched him.

Marc, you kept your head up when your life got tuned upside down. Now you see the light at the end of the tunnel. For those who wronged you, that light is a locomotive and it's rolling down the tracks full steam!

Adam Kenny said...

Thanks very much for taking the time to read - and to comment. I have had the pleasure and privilege of knowing Marc since he and Randi came to W-H way back when (1982 or 1983-I think). Your description of him fits to a "T" the Marc I have known for close to thirty-five years.

Things do not always work out for the best for those who deserve such a result. Here, however, they did. I could not be happier for him.