Friday, April 22, 2016

A Cause of Sorrow

Could not help but think about my long-time friend Karen Leach when I first saw the news early yesterday afternoon that Prince had died at the far-too-young age of 57.  My love of Springsteen's music is fairly well-chronicled.  Karen's love of Prince's music dwarfs my love of Springsteen's music.  

I cannot pretend to know a great deal of his music, of which there is - coincidentally perhaps - a great deal.  That with which I am familiar, however, I like very much.  I have several of his songs loaded into my iPod as part of my Marathon playlist.  One of them is a live version of Purple Rain that is more than eight minutes long and on which his guitar work is nothing short of extraordinary.  I recognize that most right-thinking people would not consider Purple Rain to be the type of song to which someone might listen while out for a long run.  But for the fact that I have always found it to be a simply terrific piece of music, I might agree with those people.  For me though, it is a song that just helps the steps I take feel almost weightless.  When I hear it, usually at some point past the halfway point of a long run, I get lost in it.  Given its tempo, it likely does not make my strides any quicker but it most certainly makes them feel easier.  

2016 has yet to complete its first trimester and yet another talented, accomplished musician has died. This is shaping up to be one f*cking ridiculously hard-to-take year in that regard.  As I write this, I know little of the circumstances surrounding his death.  I did read somewhere that he had to be taken to a hospital on an emergency basis earlier this month due to what was apparently diagnosed as some sort of flu from which he recovered sufficiently to perform two shows in Atlanta, Georgia on April 14, 2016 - as part of his "Piano & A Microphone" Tour.  

At some point, in the not-too-distant future in all likelihood, an official statement will be released pertaining to the way in which he died, which at day's end matters not.  What matters of course - as it does for all of us - is the way in which he lived...

...and the spectacularly glorious way in which he played.  



-AK 

2 comments:

Robert J Darden said...

Excellent as usual.

Adam Kenny said...

Thanks for the kind words and for stopping by to read my words. Both are appreciated.