Sunday, March 20, 2016

And It Cuts Like A Knife

It occurs to me that after leaving a question for all of us to ponder yesterday, I never bothered to check back to see whether anyone had any thoughts on it  - and the absurdity of it all.  Apologies.   

Yesterday afternoon I decompressed after running seventeen miles in the morning.  I did so by watching TV.  Rather than watch college basketball, I came across (on one of the endless number of movie channels that we have and never watch) a Spike Lee-directed documentary on Michael Jackson.  Once I landed on it, I was hooked. 

The film examined the career of Michael Jackson from his earliest days as a member of the Jackson Five - a member of the Motown studio - through the release of his first solo record, Off  The Wall, in 1979.  It was not only entertaining.  It was very informative.  And whether it was intended to be or not, it was more than a little sad. 

It was sad because it reminded me that long before he apparently lost his way in the world, became fodder for tabloid stories, and became embroiled in a seemingly endless number of legal problems, he was an extremely talented man.  And a man who was passionate about his craft and dedicated to honing it.  

His life and his death serve, perhaps, as a cautionary tale.  Even those among us who seem to have everything may not in fact be as "together" as we may appear to be.  




-AK 

No comments: