Monday, February 22, 2016

McMurtry's First Rule

Well I hadn't intended to bend the rules, 
But whiskey don't make liars, it just makes fools
So I didn't mean to say it,
but I meant what I said.
- James McMurtry

Yesterday was a day of atonement for Yours truly.  After the Mid-Winter Beach Run on Saturday,  I had more fun than I probably should have at the post-race get-together.  It has been said that there is no fool quite like an old fool.  As we say in the trade, the jury remains very much out on that issue. Particularly when the old fool in question has a tendency - when buoyed by the spirit of the old demon alcohol - to imitate Uncle Jim's go-to type of cigarettes, which were unfiltered. 

The worst part of training for a marathon is that it is unforgiving.  That is especially true when it comes to the weekly long run.  Sunday is my "long run" day.  That means whether I feel like running a really long distance, it is a task that must be accomplished.  And yesterday it was.  

Fun?  No.  A teachable moment?  That would be nice.  

At least purgatory has a lot of beauty to admire.

-AK 

17 Avenue Beach 
- Belmar, N.J. 


Shark River Inlet 
(Belmar side)



Waiting on Drawbridge 
Shark River Inlet


Two Suns in Asbury Park 


Asbury Park 










No comments: