Monday, January 18, 2016

The Geronimo Adjustment



- James McMurtry

An experiment in peace-keeping that began on a Saturday morning many April moons ago, having proven only moderately successful - and even then on an intermittent basis - has reached its inevitable, predictable conclusion.  For now, at least. 

For a considerable period of time, this place had served as my elixir.  For a long time, it had effectively tamped down the noise emanating from all of the competing voices inside of my head.    I know not when.  I know not how.  I know not why.  All I know is that, for present purposes anyway, it has ceased to fulfill that function.  

Will it ever again?  There are too many questions to count to which I do not know the answer.  This one is among them.  If it does once more offer a port in the storm, then perhaps I shall return to it.  If it does not, then I shall not. Either way, I am confident that the continuing sovereignty of the Republic is not dependent upon that particular question's answer. 

Unless Prince Albert of the Valley creates an entirely new Inter Web, which eviscerates that which has come before it including but not limited to this little outpost, the thoughts and ideas that have been written here since that very first Saturday all those Aprils ago shall remain right here.  They shall be available for further examination and contemplation - although not for use and appropriation ("Ain't no property like intellectual property!") - at your leisure should you wish to revisit them.  Or, should you either lose a bet or commit a disorderly persons offense and be required to do so, which it seems to me is a far more likely scenario.  For present purposes, at least, (borrowing a line from myself and something I wrote a lifetime ago), "There are no more words to write."

So, allow me one to borrow a line just one last time (with meaning, of course) from the Poet Laureate of Freehold, "One sunny morning we'll rise I know, and I'll meet you further on up the road..."

Until then...


Final Scene of Cheers (May 20, 1993)
"Sorry, we're closed." 

-AK

P.S. - Do yourself the favor of watching the 2 minute-plus clip from Cheers that has been provided for your viewing pleasure.  First, it is the final two minutes of one of the truly great TV comedies (in my opinion at least).  Second, if you do not watch it through to its conclusion, then the title of this piece will make zero sense.  It would be a shame, would it not, to have slogged through all of this bullshit for the past seven and three-quarter years only to have missed the final payoff?  

4 comments:

William Kenny said...

I know better than to ask you why or to reconsider.

I'm happy in a sad kind of way that you're off to paint with other colors in other forums and venues and I know that you will enjoy every minute of it as much as I have always enjoyed your musings here.

There are places to go, people to meet and sights to see and I know you will enjoy at least two out of three.

Perhaps you'll write when you feel it and I'll read it when I can.
And I'll still be here lookin' at the lights of Cheyenne.

Adam Kenny said...

Thanks Bill. I simply need to step away from here - for a little bit of time at least.

Judith Pack said...

When I sit down with my morning coffee each day, I shall remember all your words. Happy Trails to you!

Adam Kenny said...

Thank you for reading and thank you very much for the kind words. I appreciate both very much.