Monday, January 11, 2016

Oh Wait, There's More?

Admittedly my interest level would be different were I a graduate of Clemson, Alabama, or a school that has been relevant (even a little) in the world of college football at any point in the past decade (OK, fifteen years), but I do not intend to spend much (if any) of my Monday night watching the College Football Championship Game.  

I make that admission even though I am an enthusiastic fan of college football.  While I think the fact that the sport plays down to a single, definitive title game is an excellent one - not to mention one that was about three decades overdue - I think the fact that college football shall not crown its champion until the middle of January is not. 

When I was a child, college football season ended on New Year's Day, which was a day that traditionally started with the Cotton Bowl, which was actually played at the Cotton Bowl, and ended with the Orange Bowl, which was actually played at the Orange Bowl.  Not any longer.  Before Clemson and Alabama take the field tonight, one-third of January is already in the rear-view mirror.  The NFL completed an entire round of playoff games, the start of its post-season tournament, before college football put the finishing touches on its post-season.  

(Apropos of nothing, way to stay classy Cincinnati...and yes I am referring to the players who the Bengals pay to wear those ridiculous-looking uniforms and the miscreants who root, root, root for the home team.)

I do not pretend to know what the solution is to preventing the college football season from turning into the never-ending story.  I do know that I hope someone much smarter than I am crafts one - and does so sooner rather than later.  

-AK 


No comments: