Friday, January 15, 2016

A Most Unlikely Point of Confluence

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands
In moments of comfort and convenience, 
But where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. 

Were he still alive, today Dr. King would be marking his eighty-seventh birthday.   As someone who is a non-celebrant of my own birthday, I do not subscribe to the notion that everyone "celebrates" his or her birthday.  Never having met Dr. King, I would not pretend to know his preference.  

Perhaps, even if he could not be persuaded to eat a piece of cake in celebration of his birthday, the fact that today is the first "FWBM" Day of 2016 ("Fun With Basic Math" - Month + Day = Year) would be sufficient motivation for him to pick up a noisemaker, put on a silly hat, and party.  Again, I never met Dr. King.  I would not therefore know how much love - or not - he had for all things arithmetic.

Then again, I need not have made his acquaintance to know just how much love he had for all things oratorical.  It was, at the very least, equal to his gift for same

-AK 


No comments: