Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Opening of History's Dustbin



History's dustbin awaits the arrival of yet another year.  We the people - not only of these United States but of this particular little blue marble that orbits our sun - are older now than we have ever been at any time in the annals of history.  If you accept as true that wisdom rides in age's sidecar, then are you exhilarated or terrified by where we are at this particular point in time?  I have an opinion on the subject, which may or may not be one that you share.  In a moment of personal growth that I hope serves as a portent of things to come in 2016, I resolve to not share it.   

Being a fool, at least in significant part, I harbor foolish hopes.  Among them is the hope that 2016 is the year that the phrase "Reality TV Star" is excised from the lexicon.  We have become a people whose population includes a substantial, significant number for whom "the lowest common denominator" has become a standard to which one aspires and, as a result, we have bestowed varying degrees of celebrity and wealth upon those willing to prostitute their spouses, their children, and themselves.  Fame is no longer earned.  It is manufactured, processed, and packaged for easy shipping to the waiting masses just like so much fucking Velveeta.    

Is it too late for Caligula to toss his toga into the ring of American Electoral Politics?  Sadly, it would appear that it is not.  A case could be made that he has already done so.  More now than at any time in my life I find myself hoping (against hope?) that the Avett Brothers are correct.  More now than at any time in my life I find it almost impossible to believe that they are.  Given the grimness of the field that is thus far assembled on both sides of the aisle, I find the prospect that they are incorrect to be more than a little terrifying. 

What do you know?  The new year has not yet officially arrived and I have already broken my resolution.  Suddenly, a lot of time has opened up on my schedule tomorrow.  I reckon I shall watch a bit of college football. 

May 2016 fairly treat you, those you love, and those who love you.  And may it - at least every now and again - treat you even better than that.  Wherever you are, whomever you are with, be careful out there and be good to one another.  

Here's to innocence, gone but not forgotten...  





-AK


2 comments:

Judith Pack said...

Happy New Year to you! Wishing for a year of peaceful moments and quiet contentment. A dream that 2016 will end with our planet a better place for the future of our children.

Adam Kenny said...

Thank you for the kind words. Happy New Year to you/yours.