Tuesday, October 27, 2015

DuFresne's Dichotomy

I guess it comes down to a simple choice, really.
Get busy living, or get busy dying. 
- Andy DuFresne

In this space, every now and again, I have shared a central, indisputable fact of my life, which is that from the moment she entered into it, close to a quarter-century ago, Margaret saved my life.  It is not an exaggeration.  Not even slightly.  A compelling argument could in fact be made that it is an understatement. 

I have serious doubt as to whether, without her, I would have made it to this point in the program - close enough to the half-century mark that I can clearly see it on the horizon line.  I know simply that before I was given the gift of her, I was utterly apathetic about the prospect of growing old.  I had gotten busy dying.  Very busy, as a matter of fact.  

The Missus celebrates a birthday today.  No one I know embraces her birthday with as much aplomb as does my wife.  Irrespective of this date's appearance on the calendar, I cannot shake the feeling that the day's present belongs to me, a phenomenon that makes today a twin to each and every day whose company it keeps.

Happy Birthday, Honey...

...and thank you. 

-AK 



  

No comments: