Saturday, August 1, 2015

Uncommon Ground

A little bit of deja vu this morning.  I shall meet Gidg and Jeff in Sea Girt, just as I did one week ago, for the purpose of running in a race.  Last week, it was the Parker House Two-Mile Fun Run, an event that did not suck in no small part since it took place nowhere near the Parker House.  This morning, August's arrival is accompanied by one of my favorite events:  The Sea Girt 5K.  

Every year, the good folks who put this event on single out a worthy, local cause to assist with its proceeds.  This year, the aforementioned cause is the Common Ground Relief Center, which is located in Manasquan.  Common Ground is a place that provides support for kids ages six through eighteen who have experienced the death of a loved one, such as a parent, a sibling, or a friend.  Good people doing good work to help other good people. 

And this morning, for twenty-five minutes or so, in addition to getting a little exercise, I get to feel a bit better about myself through the simple act of lending my legs to their cause.  If you are in or about Sea Girt this morning, join the fun.  You shall be glad you did.  I assure you.  

-AK 

No comments: