Friday, August 7, 2015

Rambling Wreck

Time itself is long, 
Even if the time of Man is short.
-Pete Hamill

Programming note:  At some point within the next week or so, the focus of this space shall  shift principally (and perhaps exclusively) to one topic, which is honoring the memory of those whose lives were taken from them on September 11, 2001 by the murderous cowards who hijacked four airplanes and turned them into their own bastardized weapons of mass destruction.  Its focus shall remain on that particular topic through - at least - Friday, September 11, 2015.   I mention that now so that you can choose your time wisely and not spend any of it here if this topic is one about which you would prefer to not read.  For whether this is your first trip to this space or you frequent it, you shall notice upon inspection that first and foremost among the features it does not possess is a "Suggestion Box".  I write what I want to write, whether anyone wants to read it.  After all, this space exists as my attempt to exercise and exorcise the demons in my head - not yours. 

Anyway...

Sunday night HBO airs the season finale of the second (and perhaps final?) season of True Detective.  I am among those who thoroughly enjoyed the first season of this series and, because I did, was not looking forward to its second season - since Season Two bears no relationship at all to Season One.  It is a brand-new series, for all intents and purposes, set in a completely different locale than Season One and stocked with characters who have zero to do with their first-season counterparts.  While I have not enjoyed every moment of every episode thus far, this second go-round has grown on me as the weeks have passed.  Colin Farrell's work, of which I have never really been a fan, has struck me as particularly impressive.   Whether I shall watch the finale at the time HBO airs it on Sunday night remains to be seen but thanks to the magic of the DVR, I shall watch it at some point in the next week or so.  If it is something you have also watched - and perhaps even enjoyed - then I hope you find the finale satisfactory.  If it is not your cup of tea, I assure you that worries me not at all.  I neither own stock in HBO nor receive a paycheck from them as Head of Programming.  

I am happy that - at least as of right now - last week's declaration of joy regarding this Summer of Baseball in New York - has not yet completely screwed up either the Yankees or the Mets.  Every time I read somewhere a member of the now-second place Washington Nationals declare that "We are the team to beat.  We are not worried about the Mets" I laugh.  Terry Collins and his crew have set up space squarely inside of the Nats' heads.  I hope that they remain there for the remainder of the season.  I hope even more so that my Yankees know what they are doing, having decided that they did not need to make any moves at July 31st trading deadline, while their current closest pursuers in Toronto imported a slugging shortstop and a top-of-the-rotation starting pitcher. 

As of this morning, my beloved Colorado Buffaloes are less than four weeks away from the first game of their 2015 football season.  Ever hopeful I remain that this year shall be the one in which the effort the coaches and the kids put forth on the practice field shall translate to better results for them on game day.    They certainly appear to be heading in the right direction.  

Only time will tell.  Just as it always has.

Including a long time ago when we was fab...


"E B Enemy" 


-AK 

No comments: