Sunday, July 12, 2015

A Midsummer's Pause

Whenever the final game on today's MLB schedule is completed, baseball shall herald the arrival of the All-Star Break.  As a kid, this three-day respite from baseball used to make me pretty nuts.  I mean, after all it is three entire days without baseball.  When the hell did November arrive?  

At least, once upon a lifetime ago, I sort of looked forward to watching the All-Star Game.  Now?  If I watch any of it on Tuesday night, it shall be by accident, I assure you.  And I am even less likely to watch any of the contrived silliness that masquerades as baseball one night earlier.  I find the Home Run Derby particularly tedious.  

I am pleasantly surprised however by the fact that the Yankees, who I had mentally penciled in for 78-85 wins at season's end appear to be well on their way to proving me a liar, a fool, or both.  I hope that whatever mojo Joe Girardi has been able to wave over the bench in their dugout thus far lasts another two and one-half months.  Whether it shall, I do not pretend to have any idea.  All I can offer is hope.  

Which is fine because that is all I ever expect the Yankees to offer to me.  So far, so good. 

-AK 

No comments: