Sunday, June 21, 2015

The Heavens & The Stars

Son, brother, father, lover, friend. 
There is room in the heart for all the affections,
as there is room in the heavens for all of the stars.
- Victor Hugo 


It never ceases to amaze me just how easy the great one make the whole "Dad" gig look.  Over the course of the first half-century or so of my life, I have borne witness to not only the mad skills each of my older brothers Bill and Kelly have demonstrated, as well as those brought to bear by Frank, Russ, Joe, and Glenn, but to those of my father-in-law Joe as well.  Each of them has done his level best for those he has loved the best.  It is a task performed not in the hope of receiving a tacky tie or a leaky ceramic coffee mug.  It is a task performed because it is what fathers are programmed to do:  keep a watchful eye on those who we love and upon whose love we depend the most. 

Neither Suzanne nor Rob is a child any longer.  Neither has been for quite some time.

Tilt-A-Whirl at Jenkinson's 
Summer 1991


I smile whenever I think of the two of them, the path each has charted, and the partner who has joined each of them on the journey.    


Suzanne and Ryan
September 6, 2013


Jess and Rob
June 6, 2014

On their journey from childhood to adulthood, they flourished - more often than not - in spite of my paternal influence than because of it.  Candidly, I always meant to be better at the "Dad" business than I ever proved to be.  My two greatest qualities were my ability to get them from Point A to Point B and my ability to not interfere with the normal, three-way communication flow that the two of them established with Margaret.  In that regard, I have spent many a quiet moment over the course of these past two and one-half decades realizing just how much of my father's DNA has been interwoven with my own and why the cocktail of his and mine shall end when I end.  It is a thought in which I take great comfort.      

I would like to think - or hope perhaps - that along the way some of my more benign insanity wormed its way into their day-to-day and found a home there.  In a manner similar to a virus.

Or a splinter...     




-AK 


  

No comments: