Friday, June 19, 2015

The Carousel

Nostalgia. It's delicate... but potent...
in Greek, "nostalgia" literally means, "the pain from an old wound". 
It's a twinge in your heart, far more powerful than memory alone. 
This device isn't a spaceship. 
It's a time machine.  It goes backwards, forwards. 
It takes us to a place where we ache to go again. 
It's not called the Wheel. It's called a Carousel. 
It lets us travel the way a child travels. 
Around and around, and back home again...
- Don Draper ("The Wheel") 

It was twenty-two years ago on this very day - under a blistering hot sun - that Margaret and I were married.  June 19 was the date chosen for our wedding for no reason other than we decided that we would get married on or about the second anniversary of when we had gone out together for the first time, June 21, 1991, which was a Friday night.  We wanted to have the wedding on a Saturday, which just happened to be the 19th.  

This February I marked my forty-eighth birthday, which means that "our life" has comprised approximately one-half of my life.  This half has greatly exceeded the first half.  I say that not simply because my recollection of the first half is not great and in spots, such as the spot between ages eighteen to twenty-three it is essentially non-existent.  I say it because but for meeting and falling in love with Margaret when I was a mere pup of twenty-four, I not only would have placed my chances at living long enough to have completed close to a half-century's laps around the Sun at somewhere between nothing and next to nothing, I would have gauged my interest in trying to have made it this far at a level less than the likelihood of making it. 

She is a remarkable woman, my wife.  She deserves a far better life companion than I.  I do not do self-deprecating, believe me.  If one was to compile a list of the many words that others have used to describe me, neither "humble" nor "modest" would appear on it. On the contrary, "lucky" certainly would.  As would "fortunate".   Both of them would take their place somewhere beneath "thankful". 

Margaret has amazed me every single day that I have known her, a gift to which I cannot attach a value and a gift that I cannot ever hope to repay in kind.   I hope simply that she looks forward as I do to the next twenty-two years upon the carousel.

And that, like me, she hopes the music never stops.  

-AK   

2 comments:

Judith Pack said...

I have always enjoyed reading your blog. It is one of the first things I do each morning before heading to work. Your piece "The Carousel" really took me by surprise. June 19th is also my Wedding Anniversary. My husband and I celebrated 41 years of marriage this year ( his comment was - "how can that be, I thought you were 39!) I wanted to send my best wishes to you.

We are also life long NY Rangers fans, and have enjoyed the agony and ecstasy which comes along with that. Being from upstate NY, we are considered in the NHL "sphere of influence" of the Buffalo Sabres, and are unable to watch any NY Rangers games when Buffalo is playing at home. The blackout rules are so absurd.

Thank you again for your daily bits of wisdom and humor!

Judy

Adam Kenny said...

Judy:

Thank you very much for taking the time to write - and for writing such nice things. I hope you/your husband celebrated well. Forty-one years is an achievement worthy of a celebration.

All the best,

Adam