Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Random Musings

I've always subscribed to an old Chinese proverb
that the palest ink is better than the best memory.
- Vincent Bugliosi

His name may no longer resonate in the collective memory of the American people but I was sad to see the alert from the Los Angeles Times announcing the death of Vincent Bugliosi.  Mr. Bugliosi, who died Saturday in a Los Angeles hospital at age 80, was the prosecutor who convicted Charles Manson and his band of crazies for the Tate-LaBianca murders that occurred in Los Angeles on the night of August 8, 1969.   His work ethic was legendary as was his commitment to the task at hand.  In the couple of years between the end of college and the beginning of law school, I read quite a bit about Mr. Bugliosi as well as a number of things written by Mr. Bugliosi.  Somewhere, across a lifetime ago, I came across this line in one of his books, "Preparation permits spontaneity".  His iteration of the Five Ps I suppose.  Not nearly as alliterative but equally prescient.

I know not what - if anything - it says about me as a consumer of sports in these United States but whereas I have watched exactly zero minutes of the NBA Finals, I watched most of the the United States Women National Team's first game in the 2015 World Cup on Monday night.  I love world-class soccer and the USWNT plays the game at a high level, which it has done far more often than not for the better part of the past two decades.  In fairness to the 2015 NBA Finals, I have consumed this season - and actually just about every season since the league has been in existence - an equally underwhelming amount of MLS soccer.  It is a brand of soccer that I find uninspiring - and no amount of teams whose names include "Real" or "Sporting" or "FC" is going to change that for me since it is the quality of play on the field and not the name on the jersey that dictates my level of interest.  Whether the USWNT will capture the World Cup for the first time since its memorable 1999 win in Los Angeles I do not pretend to know although methinks they are going to have to put forth a better effort than they did against Australia in their opener.  

As I was waiting for the morning's first pot of coffee to complete its brewing cycle yesterday morning, I came across this on-line... 


...and it occurred to me that it expressed a point of view worth subscribing to and an attitude worth aspiring to and did so in fewer than one dozen words.  I tend to be less good at doing this than I should be, which failing in my character I recognize.  Recognition is just Step One in the process however.  Knowing something and doing something are two completely different things and the former without the latter is nothing more than coffee-house bullshit.  

-AK 



No comments: