Monday, April 13, 2015

When The Method Justifies The Madness

Two weeks from yesterday is the 2015 New Jersey Marathon.  Yesterday was the New Jersey Half Marathon at Rutgers University.   My day got off to a less than auspicious start.  I left my house yesterday morning without my Garmin watch.  It is the little gadget upon which I rely to tell me (a) how fast I am running; and (b) how much more distance I have to run. 

Luckily, this half-marathon is a race that utilizes "pacers".  A pacer is a runner who volunteers to run a consistent pace for each and every mile.  A pacer's value is enhanced when a runner forgets his watch and needs to lean on the pacer to track his pace for him. 

I have spent the entirety of my training time for the New Jersey Marathon by pushing myself as hard as I can.  I have employed this strategy in an effort to build up my mind's willingness to make my body learn how to accept running with discomfort.  And yesterday, I used the Half-Marathon as a laboratory in which I road-tested my hypothesis. 

It was a rousing success.  I ran the race in 1:55:03, which worked out to a per mile pace of 8:46.  More importantly, when I crossed the finish line not only were my legs not achy but my breathing was not labored or forced.  The pace at which I ran was eminently comfortable.  While I shall not know until two Sundays from now whether it is a pace at which I can cover 26.2 miles, yesterday's experiment was a rousing success.  

One down.  One to go.  

-AK 

No comments: