Monday, April 20, 2015

A Rite of Spring

Today is Boston Marathon Day.  I hope that all of those competing today, whether an elite runner or a ham and egger such as Yours truly, have an exceptional run.  Having taken to running relatively late in life, I suspect that I shall never be on of those who toes the starting line in Hopkinton.  My non-participation in the event does nothing to hamper my enthusiasm for it. 

I have no idea who shall win today.  As anyone who pays attention at all to a sport might, I do have my favorites - runners for whom I am cheering to do well.  I would love to see Meb, who won this race last year, back up his 2014 victory with one today.  I am also rooting hard for my fellow Buff, Dathan Ritzenhein, who has suffered through enough injuries in his running career to test a one-hundred-year-old man.  Ritzenhein is thirty-two. 

Most of all, I am rooting like hell for the hometown heroine, Shalane Flanagan, to capture the title that she fought so valiantly to try to attain in 2014.  She ultimately "faded" to seventh place - while running her fastest-ever marathon in a race won by Kenyan Rita "The Chemist" Jeptoo in the fastest time a woman has ever run at the Boston Marathon.  

Good luck to one and all.  May your race be swift, satisfying and safe.


-AK

No comments: