Tuesday, March 17, 2015

A Cause for Celebration

In the early morning hours of March 17, 1988 (or at least what once upon a lifetime ago I considered to be the early morning hours) I was in my apartment in Boulder, Colorado when my older brother Kelly telephoned me.  The Kenny men are not know for our extended telephone conversations and the one that Kel and I had that morning was no exception.  He called to tell me but two things:  "We had a girl.  Linda and the baby are both doing well."

It is almost inconceivable to me that the baby whose arrival Kelly heralded in that succinct yet substantial telephone conversation that St. Patrick's Day morning all those years ago is celebrating her twenty-seventh birthday.  Twenty-seven?  Where did the time go?  It went the same place it always goes.  It went into turning that tiny baby into a terrific young woman.  

Things done well take time to accomplish.  Twenty-seven years to date as a matter of fact.  So far.  So good. 

Happy Birthday Kate.  Keep wishing big, kid.  Keep wishing big. 

-AK 

No comments: