Monday, March 2, 2015

A Brief History of Time Well Spent

I learned on Saturday night yet one more thing I do not have the skill set to do.  I could not be one of the individuals whose responsibility it is to vote for the actors and the films selected as recipients of Academy Awards.  

The weekend it was released, Margaret and I went to see Clint Eastwood's American Sniper.  I enjoyed the film, Bradley Cooper's portrayal of Chris Kyle and Sienna Miller's portrayal of Taya Kyle very much.  Having read Chris Kyle's autobiography - upon which the film was based - I thought the film was, generally speaking, faithful to the source material.  I left the theater that evening feeling as if our time and money had been well spent.  And I left the theater that evening fairly well-settled on the idea that I would not see another film this year nor another performance this year that I enjoyed as much.

Saturday night, Margaret and I went to see The Theory of Everything, which is based (apparently) on a book that Dr. Jane Hawking wrote - and subsequently significantly revised - about her relationship  with Dr Stephen Hawking, including the couple's twenty-five-year-long marriage.  They met at Cambridge in 1963 and fell in love prior to Hawking's diagnosis with ALS, which was accompanied by a two-year life expectancy.  He has outlived his projected end date by a half-century.  

The film was - I thought - extraordinary.  Having seen it, I understand why Eddie Redmayne won the Oscar as Best Actor for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking.  He was superb.  Equally excellent was Felicity Jones as Jane Hawking.  I am constrained to admit that I was not familiar with either actor prior to seeing them in The Theory of Everything.  I would very much enjoy seeing them in something else - especially playing opposite one another.  

I know nothing at all about film - except that I know what I like.  I liked both American Sniper and The Theory of Everything very much.  For whatever it is worth - and it is worth very little - I would recommend seeing either film to anyone.  Time well spent.  

At least, it was for the Missus and me.  If you invest the time or the money in either, then I hope your experience is equally satisfying. 

-AK  

No comments: