Friday, February 6, 2015

Walt Kelly, American Prophet

I would be lying if I said that I am not happy that we have already reached the end of the first work week of February.  Considering what a miserable, cold, wintry piece of shit February is - as months go - its sole redeeming quality is its brevity.  While on one hand it appears to have just arrived, on the other far more important hand it is already one-quarter of the way out the door.  

Technology is a wonderful thing.  Without it, I would have to undertake the daily exorcism of my coterie of demons by some means other than this.  Given how atrocious my handwriting is and how much I loathe writing anything longhand, putting pen to paper as opposed to fingers to keyboard would not be a viable alternative.  

Technology is designed to assist us in our day-to-day.  It should not overwhelm us in our day-to-day. We should not use it to dehumanize one another.  Our love of it should never lead us to endanger ourselves.  Nor should it ever lead us to endanger others - including but not limited to those who have entrusted us with their well-being.  

And it certainly should not - it would seem to me - replace the experience of actually living in the moment as the moment happens.   Had Captain Ahab expressed as little interest in his whale as this fellow did in this one, Moby Dick would have been a 500-word essay.  
.  



-AK 

No comments: