Tuesday, February 24, 2015

The Hope For Just A Little More Rope

"Staring down that long steep slope, 
We gather 'round and we hold out hope, 
That at the end of the rope, 
There's a little more rope most times." 
- Carlisle's Haul 
James McMurtry

When one who is a self-proclaimed misanthrope offers an opinion as to something that he - said misanthrope - enjoys a great deal and that he thinks others might also enjoy, the natural reaction to such an offer is likely one of two things.  

First, consider the source of the information, what a cantankerous prick of misery said misanthrope is, and ignore it altogether.  

Second, consider the source of the information, what a cantankerous prick of misery said misanthrope is, the odds against him actually doing anything for the benefit of another, and take his recommendation to heart.  

Under the circumstances, either response is easily understood and easy to defend.  If, working within the confines of this hypothetical, you opt for what is behind Door #2, then I hope you derive at least a percentage of the enjoyment that I have derived this past week from listening (practically non-stop) to James McMurtry's new record, Complicated Game, which is officially being released today.  

I am not in the prognostication business so I know not whether you shall enjoy it.  I know simply that I have been enjoying it as much as any record I can remember while I have listened to it over and over since this time last week.  

As a fan of his music, I hope this record does well for him so that he can continue to make a living doing something that I think he does exceptionally well and from which I derive a significant amount of pleasure.  

And if you decide to give it a listen, notwithstanding my preference for all creatures four-legged and my presumption that if you are able to read these words, you have not more than one-half of that amount of legs, then I hope you consider it time well-spent.  

-AK 

No comments: