Friday, February 20, 2015

"A Sentient Being. A Thinking Animal."

Courage is Not the Absence of Fear
But Rather the Judgment that Something Else
Is More Important than Fear.
- Ambrose Redmoon

In spite of the shit-storm that we the people of these United States have worked tirelessly and idiotically to create for ourselves in the first decade and one-half of Century 21st, examples of strength and of courage abound.  They are there for us to admire, to draw upon and to follow each and every day.  This day is no exception. 

My words cannot do his justice so I shall not expose myself as a fool by pretending that they can.  I would instead implore you to spend a few minutes reading the Op-Ed piece that Oliver Sacks, M.D. authored, which piece appeared in yesterday's edition of The New York Times.  Dr. Sacks wrote it in response to having been diagnosed with terminal cancer.  Dr. Sacks is eighty-one years old.  A life that has been measured in decades shall now be measured by weeks and months.  

I choked up a bit reading Dr. Sacks' piece.  I did so, in significant part, because I was awed by his words and his spirit.  He wrote them as a man seemingly condemned to live out his days under the specter of the coming day being the worst day yet of his life.  Yet, he wrote them with a tone and a tenor of a man seemingly unfazed by that which lies ahead and sincerely appreciative of all that has led him to this point.  It is a point of view that I find both remarkable and utterly inspiring...

...read his words and see if you do not agree. 

-AK 



No comments: