Tuesday, December 16, 2014

The Triumph of Light Over Darkness...

I am not a man of Faith.  While it is a notion with which I have wrestled vigorously for most of my adult life, I respect that for many - including any number of people for whom I have great love and respect - it is not.  I do not understand their position.  I do, however, respect it. 

Hanukkah begins tonight at sundown - a time of day that is traditionally observed (for holiday purposes) at the Firm by my partners and our staff members who are Jewish as shortly after twelve noon.  Among the many reasons I am eternally grateful to my parents for having sent Kara, Jill and me to W-H was that after having spent from kindergarten through fourth grade in Catholic school, coming to W-H starting in fifth grade allowed me to meet and become friends with kids of various religious faiths.  

But for having transferred from a Catholic grammar school to a non-denominational school I would have missed out on the opportunity to celebrate a Passover Seder with Mike Koplowitz, his sister Jennifer and their parents.   Also, I am quite certain that the Immaculate Conception School choir sung neither "Hava Nagila"  nor "Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel" as part of its annual concerts.  At W-H, under the leadership of Maryann MacKenzie, we sung both songs.  





And may it also be just a little silly.  A little silliness is never, ever a bad thing...




-AK 

  

No comments: