Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Law of Life

I love you baby
I can see a better time
When all our dreams come true.
- The Pogues

Today we part company with 2014.  If you are at all like I am (first of all, you have my sincerest condolences), then year's end is a time with which you wrestle mightily as it is a time during which I tend to look with a jaundiced eye at all that I did not accomplish rather than anything that I did accomplish.  I am Irish after all, which makes Yeats something of my patron saint, "Being Irish he had an abiding sense of tragedy, which sustained him through temporary periods of joy."

I cannot say with any confidence whatsoever that I have gotten wiser as I have gotten older.  I have gotten grayer.  And against all logic, I have gotten luckier than I ever had any right to be.  At day's end, when everything else is run through the great sifter that is Life, I am not certain that anyone, anywhere has a right to expect anything more than that from the process.  I am confident that I certainly have no such right.  

As 2014 cedes the stage to 2015, I shall try to do nothing less than take the lessons I learned during this 365-day lap around the Sun with me into the new year.  If I am teachable, then I always have a puncher's chance at making myself a better person, which may or may not translate into me being a bit less of a prick of misery for the Missus and for the rest of the world to have to endure.  

John Fitzgerald Kennedy once remarked that, "Change is the law of Life.  And those who look only to the past or present are certain to miss the future."  Missing the future would be one hell of a stupid way to start a new year; right?  

Be careful out there...

...and Happy New Year. 


-AK 



No comments: