Monday, December 8, 2014

The Ballet of the Bald-Headed Vatican Nuns

I am a fallen Catholic.  Guilty as charged.  I was raised in an Irish Catholic household by parents who attended church every Sunday.  Mom continued to go every Sunday even after Dad dropped dead in his sleep, which happened either late on a Saturday night or early on a Sunday morning, and took 80% of their household income with him.  

Hell, she still goes in spite of all of the absurdly unfair bullshit to which she has been subjected in eighty-six-plus years. Her faith is - I suppose - a marvel.  Especially to me - her youngest son - who finds it utterly incomprehensible.  

Today is the Feast of the Immaculate Conception.  If my Catholic school-education memory is accurate, it is a Holy Day of Obligation.  Fortunately, the Lord and I long ago reached an understanding. I spend as little time as possible in his house and he does likewise.  I have no intention of breaching that agreement today.  

But in honor of the occasion, a little music..




...think of it as a compromise.

-AK 

No comments: