Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Redemption Sunday

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing,
Maybe the best of things, and no good thing
Ever dies." 
-Andy Dufresne


Something sort of extraordinary happened in the New York metropolitan area on Sunday in the realm of professional football.  No, it was not the fact that one of the two local teams - the Giants - actually won a game, which they did.  What was somewhat extraordinary was the fact that both local teams played at 1:00 pm New York Time, which put them on-air opposite one another.  I reckon that goes to show that when one market has multiple teams, both of which really, really stink, the Gods of Television will permit them to play at the same time.  For those of you who care about such things, the Jets lost and did so this time in an exquisitely cruel fashion.  

With both New York entries doing their thing in the 1:00 o'clock hour and the Missus out with Suzanne doing Christmas shopping somewhere, I was left to my own designs.  Having little interest in watching either game, I was pleased to come across an all-time favorite film of mine, The Shawshank Redemption, airing on one of the too-many HBO and/or Showtime-affiliated channels we have as part of our DirectTV package.  I have seen Shawshank too many times to count.  Yet, to stumble upon it in its original uncut, uninterrupted by commercial glory was quite a nice surprise.  

I shared my good fortune online, which prompted comments about the joys associated with DirectTV's "Sunday Ticket" Package from folks I know.  I have subscribed to DirectTV for fifteen years.  I love it.  I have never subscribed to "Sunday Ticket".  I do not intend to do so.  Not this season.  Not next season.  Not ever.  And it has nothing to do with the quality of that particular product, which I am given to understand is as good as advertised.  

You see, I am the person for whom they invented the "ticker" or the "crawl" on the bottom of the screen.  While I am a fan of the Giants, all I care about (to the degree I care at all) is whether they win or lose that week's game.  I need not know how the result was arrived at but merely what it is.  And I cannot fake giving a rat's ass about what is going on in games being played between teams in which I have no rooting interest.

But I most assuredly have a rooting interest in the story of the unlikely friends, Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding and Andy Dufresne, the latter of whom "crawled through a river of shit and came out clean on the other side."   


-AK 

No comments: