Sunday, November 2, 2014

All the Road Runners

This morning, tens of thousands of runners shall line up on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge as participants in the 44th New York City Marathon.  Every year, this event attracts its share of celebrity participants - including athletes from other sports who test their mettle on the streets of New York City.  This year is no different as among the field shall be Caroline Wozniacki, one of the world's top-ranked female tennis players and the runner-up at this year's U.S. Open at Flushing Meadows.  

The Marathon is a "bucket list" item for me.  The goal/hope/plan is to participate in the 2016 Edition, which shall be the final one contested prior to my 50th birthday.  My running companera Gidg is the chief proponent of this action plan.  As she is approximately eighty-six days older than I am, she shall turn fifty a few days after the 2016 race.   Initially I thought her idea was a little crazy but as the youngest of six I long ago perfected the whole "respect your elders" deal.    

I know not whether my brother-in-law Russ is running in this year's race.  He has run the Marathon several times and has kicked ass each time he has done so.  As someone who is very much a middling runner - by which I mean that while my effort is earnest my results are mediocre at best - I have an incredible amount of admiration for the way in which Russ runs.  Consistent excellence is not easy to achieve in any pursuit - particularly in something that is an avocation and not a vocation.  Remarkable.  Truly remarkable. 

If he is one of the 50,000 or so runners participating in this year's Marathon, then I hope he is able to run in some semblance of comfort.  That may prove to be difficult to attain this year.  The forecast calls for temperatures in the low forties accompanied by winds gusting upwards from fifteen miles per hour to thirty-five miles per hour, which shall make it feel much more like the upper twenties than the low forties.  

One must have more than a small modicum of resolve to lace up one's shoes and run 26.2 miles, especially when the conditions in which one shall run are less than ideal.  A whole hell of a lot of resolve shall be on display on the streets of New York City.  

Bravo to one and all. 


-AK 



No comments: